Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lekmee E' Edhel

This means 'Letter in Elf/Elvish'

Apparently Tolkien never saw the need for words like 'A' and 'Blog' and 'Post.'  I found out today that my audition really did go well and it wasn't just in my head... I did get a solo and I'm uber-pumped about it!  We're doing a choir arrangement of 'May It Be' from Lord of the Rings and my solo is in that piece.  (Hence the attempt at Elvish!)  The cool part about the way our director decided to arrange it is that we have two voices - A male voice and a female voice - for the solos and then the full choir for the rest of it.  The guy who won the male part has a PHENOMINAL voice that is beautiful and haunting and powerful.  Half way through my bit-part solo, he comes in with male harmony to counter my part... if we can nail this, it will give everybody the chills.

The solos are very, very brief.  The main focus is on the full choir sound, but I think that the way our director decided to place them will be powerful and add to the song itself.  Of course, this whole 'singing in Elvish' thing has caused me to go into full geek-mode-meltdown.  I'm not sure, but I think Josh was a little put-off by my pathetic attempts at translating random English statements into Elvish and attempting to pronounce them... 

I've been inspired to do something ENTIRELY useless with my time - Learn to be fluent in Elvish.  Specifically Quenya or Sindarin.  As soon as I figure out where I can learn this, I will get back to you.  For now, I'm stuck relying on a really crappy translator that doesn't have any of the words I want to use.

But I still don't think 'Blog' is going to be in the Quenya dialect.

In honor of my newest, most useless obsession, here are some links for more fun!
Hobbit Name Generator
Elvish Name Generator
Learn To Write Elvish
Quenya Wikipedia Article
Sindarin Wikipedia Article
Youtube - Scenes from LOTR set to 'May It Be' by Enya

Till my next post, "Man Aduial!"

No comments:

Post a Comment